This is our most spacious room and was originally the Wilson Tavern ballroom. It later served as the master suite when the inn was converted into a private home in the mid 1800s. It has beautiful views of Mount Monadnock. There is a seating area for four with a couch that converts into a queen sized bed for a third guest.
William Wilson built the house, known then as Wilson Tavern, in 1797. He married Dotia Smith in 1806, which is the same year that he added the "El" to the house. It houses the new kitchen and three additional bedrooms. In 1807, he added stairs to join the dining room and the El, which can be seen behind one of the doors in the present dining room. In 1834, William Wilson gave up the tavern business. His family kept the house as a private residence until it was sold by his daughter, Jennie Scott, in 1902.
This room has ample light and beautiful views of Mount Monadnock to the west. It was originally part of the Wilson Tavern ballroom before being converted into a bedroom when the house became a private home in the mid 1800s. This room has comfortable seating for two.
Cy and Joyce Gregg owned the home from 1980 until 2017 and raised their family here. They still live in Peterborough where they own and operate Waterhouse Restaurant and Baker's Station. They provide us regular advice and support to turn this historic home back into its original purpose as an inn.
This elegant and spacious room has hand-hewn moldings and a beautiful view of our aristocratic maple trees to the south. It has a comfortable seating for two.
Jennie Wilson Scott, daughter of William and Dotia Wilson, lived in the house until 1902 when she sold it to Mrs. Kate M. Nickerson.
This serene room faces north toward our gardens, pond, and expansive meadow. It has a vaulted ceiling with exposed original beams dating to 1850 and a cozy sitting area for two.
George S. Tucker purchased the house from Kate M. Nickerson and held it for 8 years. It was then put up for sale in 1914 as described in "The Bulletin of the Society For The Preservation of New England Antiquities," published in Boston inn April, 1914. It was then sold to Mr. Jesse Albert Locke in 1917.
This gracious room boasts incredible views of our pool, gardens, trails and pond. It has a vaulted ceiling and a spacious sitting area for two.
Mr. Jesse Albert Locke purchased the house in 1917, and in August of 1920 there was an article written about his home in "House Beautiful." Mr. Locke used it as a summer home and as a source of inspiration for the paintings of his wife, art patron and artist, Caroline Teresa Hecker Locke. The beautiful views from the Locke room inspired us to name the room after Mrs. Locke. Mr. Locke advertised the house for sale at a price of $25,000 in the 1922 edition of "Old Time New England." He sold the house in 1927 to Mr. Steven van Rensselaer who owned an antique store on the opposite corner. In 1933, he wrote a story about the house and presented it to Reverend Richard Allen Day. Mr. van Rensselaer owned the home until 1947 when he sold it to Mrs. Guy Currier.
This room faces south and has abundant light, with a handsome view of our charming hand-built stone walls and mature trees. It has a comfortable sitting area for two.
Kate M. Nickerson purchased the house in 1902 from Jennie Wilson Scott, and she used it as a summer residence for seven years. She then sold it in 1909 to George S. Tucker.
This room on the ground floor was the library when The Wilson Tavern was built in 1797. The elegant hand-hewn moldings and original wide plank wood floors lend it an old world ambiance. It has a comfortable sitting area for four, which includes a pull-out couch for a third guest.
Mr. Edward A. Rowse and Marion Cobb Rowse purchased the house in the mid 1900s from Mrs. Guy Currier and in 1963 an article was published in "New Hampshire Profiles" magazine on their home. In 1969, Edward Rowse made a presentation on the history of the house to the Peterborough Garden Club. The Rowses owned the house until 1980 when they sold it to Cy and Joyce Gregg.
This room has views to the west towards Mount Monadnock. It a relaxing sitting area for two and a spacious bathroom and steam shower that is larger than our other guest rooms. This is the only room with a queen-size bed and only one chair in the sitting area.
Mrs. Guy Currier purchased the house in 1947 from Mr. Steven van Rensselaer. She then sold the house in the mid 1900s to Mr. and Mrs. Edward A. Rowse.